ToyVoyagers
Welcome! ( login | register ) » ToyVoyagers » ToyVoyager Central » Dazed and Confused? » Suggestions for New Mentors

Pages: << prev 1, 2 next >> Reply to Topic Create New Topic Create New Poll E-mail me when replies are made to this topic View Printable
Suggestions for New Mentors, A Checklist for New ToyVoys
kcrawfish
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Group: Members

United States

Send an email to kcrawfish Visit kcrawfish's web site Send a message to kcrawfish with Yahoo! Messenger Send a personal messsage to kcrawfish Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

A possible checklist for creating your first toyvoy:

~ choose a toy whose being lost in the mail won't break your heart!  (also known as "don't send your daughter's first teddy bear")
~ write a profile description with some personality
~ upload a profile picture -- sizing it to under 100k and cropping the photo to be square to keep it from being distorted
~ put the weight of your toyvoy in the profile
~ if you want to include anything extra to travel with your toyvoy, mention it in the profile AND add the weight of these extras to the profile weight (I'm not referring to gifts that the first host can keep, of course.)
~ have 5 life missions written out in the profile ... I suggest making them completable -- some people will offer to host your toyvoy just to be able to complete one of its missions ... it's quite motivating! ("wanting to see the world" could be in the toy's profile)
~ write at least two first updates yourself *with photos*
~ write updates in English and in the first person -- we want to "hear the voice" of your toyvoy
~ put in the map coordinates for those first updates
~ be particular about your host (When was she last active?  Does she hold up TVs by the fistful in photos?  Does she update only once every 5-6 weeks?  Are the photos blurry?  Has she deleted the photos of her previous guests?) 
~ get your host's contact info, including email
~ mail your toy with all needed info, ID #, your address and password IF you have created one for its profile (And if you don't have a physical tag, maybe you can create one because, as with a pet, an ID tag makes it more likely to come home if it gets away.)
~ go to Edit Preferences and choose "newest post first" -- totally optional, but, personally, I was really happy when I made this change
~ and keep logging in to read your host's updates -- a host updating weekly and a mentor reading monthly, for example, is unmotivating

I hope this will make your toy an A#1 toyvoyager in the eyes of potential hosts.  :)
I love hosting -- but I am not available right now.  Wish I could, though!  Please read this.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
If you experience any bad behavior on this site, please send a PM to Admin.  No need to take abuse even from a member claiming to be a top host.
With her friends, http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i475/kcrawfish/Zoe/ZoeandtheGull-1.jpg found a way to fly in Finland where I hope she will stay forever.  It turns out she's more Finn than American. http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i475/kcrawfish/litup1_mini.jpg just lit up watching a beautiful Danish sunset.  Timothy III and http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i475/kcrawfish/TV%20-%20Fiona%20Yenien/fionawith2llamas_mini.jpg were treasure hunters in Bolivia.  Henrik met http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i475/kcrawfish/Madeline%20Island%20July%202011/Trip%20to%20Mainland/Henriks%20trip/IMG_3054-1.jpg on the shelf of a Wisconsin shop.

*Posted Oct 23, 2011, 6:32 pm Last edited Jan 12, 2012, 7:35 am by kcrawfish
olgamaus
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Send a personal messsage to olgamaus Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Like kcrawfish already wrote, most of the TVs from the German members have life missions like"visit Tokio", "visit Paris", visit "New York Ciity" and so on.

Please consider that there are not so many hosts in Asia. There is really a lot of active hosts in the USA, scattered throughout the whole country. Every place is worth seeing it, not only the capital cities and those with touristic highlights.

As there are so many new German members, you may think about life missioins which could be fulfilled by some of the newbies, for example

- take a photo in front of a lighthouse
- have a beer and pretzel in the Hofbraeuhaus
- take a walk in a forest (probably impossible for a host in NYC)
- visit a racetrack
- go skateboarding
- try local delicacies
- visit the host's workplace
- always a favourite: meet my host's pets

Yesterday I saw an interesting life mission with one of the new TVs: Visit all 17 German federal states - such a great mission - and really a challenge :)

When you send your TVs throughout Germany at first, you have the chance to have your first updates only one or two days later. Sending the TVs abroad can take several weeks sometimes, due to different ways of mail transportation and customs regulations.

Germany is offering great places, unique for this country, really worth visiting them!
Photos of all  ToyVoyagers I've hosted to far, here on flickr

Posted Oct 25, 2011, 7:42 am
iloveletters
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Send a personal messsage to iloveletters Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

olgamaus said:

...Yesterday I saw an interesting life mission with one of the new TVs: Visit all 17 German federal states - such a great mission - and really a challenge :)

Yes, that seems a great mission! I really like this challenge. I am here in Thuringia if someone still needs a host in this part of Germany :)  Maybe I'll pick up the idea later and see if I find 17 people from all the 'Bundesländer' that would like to take part in a kind of RR (or does that exist already?

:D
My ToyVoyagers:
wild releases: Oliver, Spunky, Bibi
lost: Aimee, Nook, Aidan, Dancer
stay at home TVs: Aurelius and Shesh

hosted:
Florentine, Hiro, Sambu, Boo Boo, King Tut , TobiHH, Mira , Bruno, Red Navel, Peachy Chai, Domino, Orkku Orava, Taru, Harold Giraffe, Monkez , Tiplitaps, Stoker, Spencer, KalliHH, SunnyHH, Voi Nam, Bärndt, YoYo, Claire Tamias, HömpfMömpf, Creamsheep, Mandy Sheep, Pelly, Easy

Posted Oct 25, 2011, 8:58 am Last edited Oct 25, 2011, 8:59 am by iloveletters
olgamaus
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Send a personal messsage to olgamaus Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

This would be a fantastic idea - a "Federal-State-Round-Robin".

But than we would have to say good-bye to our TVs for nearly two years, until they visited all the states.
Photos of all  ToyVoyagers I've hosted to far, here on flickr

Posted Oct 25, 2011, 9:11 am
RikeH
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Send an email to RikeH Visit RikeH's web site Send a personal messsage to RikeH Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

I would love to join!!!

So if someone will organize it I am in for Schleswig-Holstein. I could take the Part for Hamburg, too.
My ToyVoyagers :
PieksiHH stays with HoBi.
HolgiHH visits windy62.
PinkyHH stays with goldmoon.
UrselHH has fun with natalina

GustavHH, SunnyHH, NiliHH, TobiHH, ThomasHH and HelgaHH are at home.

UrselHH  the Second was kidnapped by EuroMaus.
MrCoolHH is LOST in Poland at inidhil.
KalliHH was kidnapped by Oppenheimer.
BineHH is lost on the way to vunder

And finally dicker Kumpel stays at home with me. He just started his own website - look here : Dicker Kumpel's website

Montgomery, Mephi,Sansone and Stoker are with me now. 

If you want to host one of my TVs, please send a PM! This year I prefer TV-Swaps.

Posted Oct 25, 2011, 10:58 am
miapearl
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

United Kingdom

Send a personal messsage to miapearl Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Are there newbies in all the federal states? 2 years, that's a long time!
I'm trying to work out how many states I've been to - NRW, Hamburg, S-H, and wherever Heidelberg and Phantasialand are!
If you are interested in hosting any of my toys please message me, or post in the appropriate toys looking for hosts thread.

[note to self]Organise an itinerary for the toys, and not organise hosts at the last minute[/note to self]

Mira has arrived at her new host, another Postcrosser :) and Alfie should be with another Postcrosser!
Do not be afraid to say you would like to host one of my travelling toys!
Toys lost? Misty Rose Baconella Hoots  Bubo  Lintilla - on the lookout for replacements from charity shops.

I have taken on more activities/commitments/responsibilities... still adjusting and may be a bit slow with updates...

Posted Oct 25, 2011, 11:10 am
Tinka
ToyVoyagers Follower

Member Level

Germany

Send a personal messsage to Tinka Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

I didn't Know we have 17 Bundesländer. I always thought there were 16. But well, "Welcome Mallorca, you now are the 17th Bundesland of Germany". Sorry Spain.

Posted Oct 29, 2011, 11:14 am Last edited Oct 29, 2011, 11:15 am by Tinka
nuriayasmin
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Send an email to nuriayasmin Send a personal messsage to nuriayasmin Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Mia, Heidelberg is situated in Baden-Wurttemberg. Phantasialand is near Cologne, so it's NRW :-)

And we have 16 states and not 17. Fortunately Mallorca has more to offer than those terrible German-occupated spots at the coast.

Well, I like the idea of such a trail or Round Robin but wouldn't want to be a host for it at the moment because if things work out fine I'm hopefully moving to Hamburg in about 1 1/2 years.

Daniela
ToyVoyagers I'm currently hosting:
Shesh (Germany)
Slowly-Slowly (Netherlands)

Posted Oct 29, 2011, 11:40 am
Tomi
ToyVoyagers Fanatic

Member Level

Germany

Send a personal messsage to Tomi Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

really nice checklist really helped me creating my teddy tomi :)
Inactive because of school!

My ToyVoyagers:
Tomi the Bear is at home
Froggy the Frog  got lost on the way from Katara back to me
Thomas the Bear is at home
Timmy the Bear is at home
Frank the Bear is at home
Tim the Bear is at home
Penny the Cat is at home
Tommy the Bear is at home

Posted Oct 29, 2011, 11:44 am
kcrawfish
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

United States

Send an email to kcrawfish Visit kcrawfish's web site Send a message to kcrawfish with Yahoo! Messenger Send a personal messsage to kcrawfish Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

i'm glad! your bears are so cute!
I love hosting -- but I am not available right now.  Wish I could, though!  Please read this.
If you experience any bad behavior on this site, please send a PM to Admin.  No need to take abuse even from a member claiming to be a top host.
With her friends, http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i475/kcrawfish/Zoe/ZoeandtheGull-1.jpg found a way to fly in Finland where I hope she will stay forever.  It turns out she's more Finn than American. http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i475/kcrawfish/litup1_mini.jpg just lit up watching a beautiful Danish sunset.  Timothy III and http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i475/kcrawfish/TV%20-%20Fiona%20Yenien/fionawith2llamas_mini.jpg were treasure hunters in Bolivia.  Henrik met http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i475/kcrawfish/Madeline%20Island%20July%202011/Trip%20to%20Mainland/Henriks%20trip/IMG_3054-1.jpg on the shelf of a Wisconsin shop.

Posted Nov 12, 2011, 6:46 am Last edited Nov 12, 2011, 6:48 am by kcrawfish
iloveletters
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Send a personal messsage to iloveletters Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Only now I read the first post in detail and dicovered the option of changing my preferences for showing posts in the travellog. I changed to 'show newest post first' and that is a great option. I was always bugged by the fact to go to the last page of the travellog and scroll down and wait for all the pictures to load. I am happy I now dicovered the option!
My ToyVoyagers:

hosted:
Florentine, Hiro, Sambu, Boo Boo, King Tut , TobiHH, Mira , Bruno, Red Navel, Peachy Chai, Domino, Orkku Orava, Taru, Harold Giraffe, Monkez , Tiplitaps, Stoker, Spencer, KalliHH, SunnyHH, Voi Nam, Bärndt, YoYo, Claire Tamias, HömpfMömpf, Creamsheep, Mandy Sheep, Pelly, Easy

Posted Jan 10, 2012, 5:40 pm
Gizalba
ToyVoyagers Fanatic

Member Level

United Kingdom

Send a personal messsage to Gizalba Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

iloveletters said:
Only now I read the first post in detail and dicovered the option of changing my preferences for showing posts in the travellog. I changed to  'show newest post first' and that is a great option. I was always bugged by the fact to go to the last page of the travellog and scroll down and wait for all the pictures to load. I am happy I now dicovered the option!

This took me a while to discover too! I'm glad you've found it as it really makes a difference :)

P.s. This is a great list Krawfish, very useful for newbies. I think there should perhaps be something like this on one of the tabs at the top along with other info for new members, like explaining to them how to create their free TV (replying to the current 'create a TV' topic rather than making a new topic).
Hello, I have been locked out of my account for a long time as I had forgotten my password. I had made another account (Gizalba2) so I was updating from there for a while, however I am back using this one now :)

TVs I still have whose owners have been absent for over a year:

Pengy, Tapsi and Jala

If any of these owners come back and would like me to post these guys back to you, please let me know!

Posted Jan 10, 2012, 6:17 pm Last edited Jan 10, 2012, 6:20 pm by Gizalba
kcrawfish
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

United States

i agree with you two. "show newest post first" really improved my enjoyment of the site. when i am on the site logged off, i'm quite annoyed by the "old" way (old to me now that i've had it the newest post first way for a while). that alone is worth being its own topic. oh, and good suggestions, becca.

Posted Jan 11, 2012, 6:08 am
iloveletters
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

kcrawfish said:
i agree with you two.  "show newest post first" really improved my enjoyment of the site.  when i am on the site logged off, i'm quite annoyed by the "old" way (old to me now that i've had it the newest post first way for a while).  that alone is worth being its own topic.  oh, and good suggestions, becca.

Yeah, just discovered that (of course) it only works if you are logged in...
My ToyVoyagers:

hosted:

Posted Jan 11, 2012, 10:58 am
Xadrian
ToyVoyagers Fanatic

Member Level

United Kingdom

Send an email to Xadrian Send a personal messsage to Xadrian Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Great checklist for beginners, thank you for creating this! :D
Due to health issues I won't be able to participate in Toyvoyaging right now. I hope to do so again in the future.

Posted Jan 16, 2012, 6:54 pm
LittleCableCars
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

United States

Send an email to LittleCableCars Send a personal messsage to LittleCableCars Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Bump.

Posted Apr 23, 2012, 3:25 pm
Noisy
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Send a personal messsage to Noisy Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Bump again :-)

A BIG HELLO
for all the new members!

It is much easier to find a host, if the TV has some nice updates in the travelog! Each TV has it't own charactere, so show it with a little story.
Your english mustn't be perfect, we all give our best!
Take your new TV with yourself for some days and make photos at your school, at your working place, in the mall, in your garden... just wherever you are!

It is a lot of fun! Just do it!

All the other members are curiously waiting for the stories of your TV!!!

Posted Jun 30, 2012, 12:34 pm
LittleCableCars
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

United States

Send an email to LittleCableCars Send a personal messsage to LittleCableCars Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Has TV-TV been on TV again recently?  ;)  Glad to see another group of new members.  I got a message that someone who just joined wants to host one of my TVs.  I haven't responded yet, will wait until he gets settled. As Noisy says, wait until you get oriented before hosting someone else's TV or sending your own out. There are a lot of helpful threads on the forum.  Yes, post lots of updates for your own TV, I'll be reading them.  :)

Welcome!!

Posted Jun 30, 2012, 8:42 pm
Noisy
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Send a personal messsage to Noisy Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

[quote=LittleCableCars]Has [tv]TV-TV[/tv] been on TV again recently? ;)

Yes, at Thursday. It was the same show as in Oktober last year :-) with the same great effect for this site :-D

Posted Jun 30, 2012, 8:51 pm Last edited Jun 30, 2012, 8:52 pm by Noisy
Biggi
ToyVoyagers Friend

Member Level

Germany

Send a personal messsage to Biggi Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

sorry for beein dump, but I didn't find an answer for my question elsewhere so I decided to post it here:

If I do find a first host for my TV, do I have to find the next host too or does the first host ask for the next?
If it would be like second option it would be a surprise to me where my TV travels.
(and yes I do know about the RR option, I'm just wondering about the other option.)
nosyblue is safe
Oink is safe
Dotti Scotti is safe
Lillepuss is safe
rosemarie is safe
bubele is safe
bjoern is somewhere in the world, last seen at Sarah Lynn
Scotti is last seen at Fendi
Scotti Greyis last seen at Chinxize

*Posted Jul 6, 2012, 2:09 pm
Pages: << prev 1, 2 next >> Reply to Topic Create New Topic Create New Poll E-mail me when replies are made to this topic View Printable