ToyVoyagers
Welcome! ( login | register ) » ToyVoyagers » ToyVoyager Central » Off-Topic » What do you know about my cou...

Pages: << prev 1, 2 next >> Reply to Topic Create New Topic Create New Poll E-mail me when replies are made to this topic View Printable
What do you know about my country?
becka_kate
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Group: Members

Australia

Send a personal messsage to becka_kate Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

USA
Well, I could give you all the boring facts, but this is the other stuff I know....

All of your money is nearly the same colour which is really confusing for a jetlagged tourist, as are the terms penny, nickle, dime & quarter, and right now the US dollar is weaker than the Aussie dollar. The good thing is that it is made with cotton, so it comes out ok if you leave it in your pocket before doing your laundry.

Washington DC is the capital and there are many monuments to past presidents (even those who requested not to have one!) and some stunningly moving war memorials.
Most tourist attractions in DC are free, but you have to get in the line really early in the morning to get a ticket.
The Smithsonian could fill an entire week's holiday on its own and the zoo a part of it, which makes it free to visit too.
Arlington Cemetary was once the home of Robert E Lee.
The Washington Memorial is two different colours because the building of it was interrupted by the Civil War

New York is a large and bustling city and you need to keep your eyes open for rats the size of cats if you are walking around in the dawn hours!  :o
Knowing if you are travelling uptown or downtown is useful as the streets are all numbered, so it is nearly impossible to get lost.
The pretzels from the carts are a cheap way to eat and don't actually taste too bad.
Central Park is beautiful and so peaceful despite being slap-bang in the middle of the city.
The Statue of Liberty is there, but you have to make sure not to travel in one of the last carriages on the train when you are going there because the platform at the stop for Battery Park is really quite short.
The subway / city in general is not as scary as it is portrayed in the media.

Philadelphia is the birthplace of the USA as we know it, was once the capital and has the wierdest museums -- the Ben Franklin Museum for one.
It is also really cheap to travel from NYC -> Philadelphia by greyhound.

The Liberty Trail in Boston is a great way to see the city in one day and the Duck Tour is a lot of fun to do. Plus, there is odd entertainment between quarters at the hocky, like the Scissor, Paper, Rock championships  :)

The Niagara Falls arehuge and freezing cold in early spring! Plus it has not been touristified, unlike the Canadian side!!

San Francisco is hilly and you have to wait forever for a cable car; the bus system is much more convenient, if a little less romantic....
Alcatraz is one scary place.
The seals at Fisherman's Wharf stink.
Coit Tower is a monument to the firefighters after the 1906 earthquake and San Francisco is a a disaster waiting to happen thanks to the city elders throwing out the planning codes in order to rebuild the city quickly. (Glad I only learnt that fact after I'd visited!!)
The area around North Beach with all the strip clubs actually feels like a safer place to stay than central San Francisco... must have something to do with all the bouncers??
China Town is smaller than you would think it is and MOMA is one odd looking building... There is also a Cartoon Art Gallery.
The Golden Gate Bridge is huge, and it is extremely windy out there.

It takes FOREVER to travel from Eugene, Oregon to Canada via Amtrak because passenger train have to give way to goods trains & boats that cause bridges to open....

& last but not least, this is what I learnt from BunTraveler about Oregon
The people there are extremely friendly & welcoming  :D :D
The coast is beautiful, even a the end of winter.
Eugene is the home of Nike. The University where it was invented has a duck that looks a lot like Donald as its mascot.
The seagulls are HUGE and will try to take off with your ToyVoyager if you are not careful!
Strange green moss hangs off of the trees there.
Small towns have the most beautiful murals painted on the building.

Guess we're going back to Australia?
"A bear teaches us that if the heart is true, it doesn't matter much if an ear drops off." -Helen Exley

Friend of: Kalli, C.K. (MIA in the US), Froddo, Candy CottonDottie Grace (Still travelling), Tamalyn (hiding out in Canada) Zahli, Barclay, Kellie Koala& Tilda

Friends in the Wild: Slinkee Snake, Ms Millie, Violet May, Elefunk, Shriek, Eureka Bear, Bonza Roo, Daisy Bear, Elouera, Alby, Thiele, Bree Bear, Fred A’bear, Kograh, Rosetta, Kismet, Huggles & Gretel,Previous host to:  Emma, Greedy,
Iago, Hugo, Kroko, Lollipop, Paula, Steve, Misko, Winnie the Pooh, Her Highness QueenElizabethI, Kari, Tippi, Taro, Seamus, PampleMoose, Berlin Bear, Mario, Mei, (Playmo)Bill, Twinette Kani, Boone Racoon, HoppyVanderHare, JamaBanaDukLuv, Elisabeth & Cassiopeia(twice).

My flickr photo collections

Posted Aug 12, 2011, 12:17 pm Last edited Aug 12, 2011, 12:25 pm by becka_kate
miapearl
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

United Kingdom

Send a personal messsage to miapearl Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

I have family in Australia. We (in the UK) do not have to worry about a couple of days drive to pick up relatives from the airport (this is what my uncle had to do to collect my cousin!).

Bundaberg produces nice drinks! hic!

Unlike in Austria, there are Kangaroos!

I do not like Castlemaine XXXX !

My family was all safe during the floods, though one of the towns one of them works in was flooded badly.

Australia produces nice red wines.

One of my uni professors wore nylon so that he could go swimming and avoid being stung by the box jellies - he said that if you got stung, you have between 2 and 30 minutes to live if you don't get the antidote.

Australia seems to get a lot of post destined for Austria! Also, a prize from a UK-based magazine was sent to Perth (Scotland) but it ended up going via Perth in Australia.

If you are interested in hosting any of my toys please message me, or post in the appropriate toys looking for hosts thread.

[note to self]Organise an itinerary for the toys, and not organise hosts at the last minute[/note to self]

Mira has arrived at her new host, another Postcrosser :) and Alfie should be with another Postcrosser!
Do not be afraid to say you would like to host one of my travelling toys!
Toys lost? Misty Rose Baconella Hoots  Bubo  Lintilla - on the lookout for replacements from charity shops.

I have taken on more activities/commitments/responsibilities... still adjusting and may be a bit slow with updates...

Posted Aug 17, 2011, 1:54 pm
Ayphy
ToyVoyagers Follower

Member Level

Germany

Send a personal messsage to Ayphy Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

The United Kingdom.

Cool things from the UK

In the United Kingdom, they have various very cool and delicious meals/drinks, a few samples:
Fish and Chips
Yorkshire Pudding
Shepherd's Pie
Ploughman's Lunch
Cream Tea(Tea, Scone, Clotted Cream, Jam)
Eel Pie
Baked Beans
Haggis(not my personal favourite, but still cool)

Then, a lot of great music comes from the UK, too many to sort out some examples :)

Also, a whole lot of amazing movies, musicals, theatre plays etc. were written there.

Many great inventors, scientists and philosophers were born in the UK.
e.g. Bell, Darwin, Newton

Stats
The UK has approx. 60million inhabitants. It is a constitutional monarchy(currently Queen Elizabeth II., Windsor), it has no "official language", but most people speak English. There are several languages also accepted as official, or at least being stated as minority language: In Scotland, Gàidhlig, in Northern Ireland Ulster Scots and Gaeilge, in Wales Welsh(Cymraeg) and in Cornwall the Cornish language(Kernewek).
"English" itself has a variety of local dialects, also.
Because many people of different ethnical background live in the UK, there are many other languages spoken, too.

The UK consists of:
England, Wales(since 12th century),Cornwall(since 1027/12th century), Scotland(since 1707), Northern Ireland(since 1801), Isle Of Man(since 12th century)

Many areas have the Queen as their head-of-state, though, known as the Commonwealth.

There is plenty more to say about the UK, but it would take
pages to write everything :)

Or Wales/Gymru

Cool things from Wales
Food: Bara Brith, Welsh Rarebit and of course Welsh cakes:)
Music: Bullet for my Valentine, Marina and the Diamonds, Bob Delyn a'r Ebillion, Plethyn, Kyshera and others.
Movies: e.g. Y Mabinogi (don't know more, sorry)

Stats
Wales has approx. 2-3million inhabitants. Official languages are English and Welsh/Cymraeg.

In Wales, you can find the village with the longest name in the world, I think: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwy­rndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.
The capital,Caerdydd/Cardiff, has a much shorter name, though.

So, that's unfortunately all my knowledge about Wales.

Posted Jul 17, 2012, 11:11 pm Last edited Jul 17, 2012, 11:31 pm by Ayphy
becka_kate
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Australia

Send a personal messsage to becka_kate Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Germany...

The currency is the Euro and the flag is red, black & yellow.
Is in the centre of Europe.
Has rivers, forests and big cities.
The alphabet has vowels with umlauts over them and a special symbol is used for the ss sound.
German is a very easy language to read (unlike English)
Many of the cities have a medieval feel to them.
There is a cool tower in the Black Forest that was Disney's inspiration for the one in Disneyland.
Many fairy tales originated in Germany thanks to the Brothers Grimm.
Munich's Old Town Hall actually looks newer than the New Town Hall and many tourists hang out in the square outside the new one waiting for the clock to strike the hour.
There is a stone with the devil's footprint in it in the entrance way of one of Munich's churches.
Every year many tourists come to Munich for Oktoberfest and drink too much beer.
There are yearly Christmas markets (that one year I would love to visit)
There is a passion play held in Oberamagau (probably spelt that wrong)
Berlin is the capital and was once divided by a wall.
The US tried to take over the square near Brandenburg Gate for their embassy's security.
It can be very very hot in Berlin during summer.
The rooftop of the Reichstag has great views but feels like a greenhouse in the middle of summer.
Potsdam has a beautiful gardens and palace and played host to a summit in 1945.
The Berlin Dom was built to match Westminster Abbey as a place for the Kaiser to be buried. It wasn't finished before he was forced to abdicate so there are no royals interred in there.
They make great beer, cheese and sausages there.

As Australia's been covered a couple of times, how about just Sydney?
"A bear teaches us that if the heart is true, it doesn't matter much if an ear drops off." -Helen Exley

Friend of: Kalli, C.K. (MIA in the US), Froddo, Candy CottonDottie Grace (Still travelling), Tamalyn (hiding out in Canada) Zahli, Barclay, Kellie Koala& Tilda

Friends in the Wild: Slinkee Snake, Ms Millie, Violet May, Elefunk, Shriek, Eureka Bear, Bonza Roo, Daisy Bear, Elouera, Alby, Thiele, Bree Bear, Fred A’bear, Kograh, Rosetta, Kismet, Huggles & Gretel,Previous host to:  Emma, Greedy,
Iago, Hugo, Kroko, Lollipop, Paula, Steve, Misko, Winnie the Pooh, Her Highness QueenElizabethI, Kari, Tippi, Taro, Seamus, PampleMoose, Berlin Bear, Mario, Mei, (Playmo)Bill, Twinette Kani, Boone Racoon, HoppyVanderHare, JamaBanaDukLuv, Elisabeth & Cassiopeia(twice).

My flickr photo collections

Posted Oct 1, 2012, 6:06 am
Petzii
ToyVoyagers Follower

Member Level

Austria

Visit Petzii's web site Send a personal messsage to Petzii Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Sydney..

is the state capital of New South Wales and the most populous city in Australia. The population is about 4,6 million people.

Sydney has a temperate climate with warm summers and mild winters.
summer: December - February
autumn: March - Mai
winter: June - August
spring: September - November

The Opera House is one of the most famous landmarks. It was build in 1959-1973. Actually it is not just a opera house, there you can also find a cinema, two theatres, restaurants and bars.

Here a short list of famous people, who were born in Sydney:
Hugh Jackman - Actor
Miranda Kerr - Modell, Wife of Orlando Bloom
Peter Weir - Film Director
Cappuccino was in China for his first destination and is currently visiting Bali in Indonesia.

Huhn is on his way to Finland.

Bim was visiting me in Austria.

Posted Oct 1, 2012, 7:17 pm
Susie's
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Send a personal messsage to Susie's Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

I know lots of good Stuff about Austria B) :

- Sachertorte
- Marillenknödel
- Schlagoberst
- Wiener Melange
- Wiener Schnitzel

;)

Hmmmmm getting hungry.....
My TV's
Poschti:is at home in Germany     

little T.B. : is at home Germany

Betty Bear:     is at home in Germany

Currently hosting: none

*Posted Oct 2, 2012, 11:10 am
Maggiliii
ToyVoyagers Follower

Member Level

Austria

Send a personal messsage to Maggiliii Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

oh germany

germany is my neighboring state...you have collaterals on cans...angela merkel likes superglue...there are also beautiful churches and cultur..there isnt a compulsory military service..
well...i have to say...i was only at the schwarzwald and bad reichenhall....

Posted Feb 6, 2013, 10:09 am
JaneTan
ToyVoyagers Fresher

Member Level

Singapore

Send a personal messsage to JaneTan Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

oh Singapore!

- clean and well organized
- parks, green areas and waterfront
- Laksa
- Biryani
- singapore sling
- Meetings and Events
- Marina Bay Sands
- Changi airport
- travel and business hub
- cultural melting pot
- one of very few city-states

Posted Dec 11, 2016, 5:57 am
Pages: << prev 1, 2 next >> Reply to Topic Create New Topic Create New Poll E-mail me when replies are made to this topic View Printable